05/07/2011

LONDON I LOVE YOU BUT YOU'RE BRINGIN' ME DOWN: Lacking some serious forward momentum

So around a month ago, right in the middle of setting up for the show, my laptop suddenly decided to become riddled with a million different kind of viruses (viri?), even worse, ones that restart-safe mode-system restore couldn't fix.  This led to me having to close down the entire thing, restore it to factory settings (which in turn wiped EVERYTHING that I've been saving and working on for the past three-ish years) and subsequently throwing myself full-throttle into the pit of despair.  Along with my entire iTunes catalogue and many a drunken Archway era video, I also lost all of my documentation of the previous years work, along with some awesome/creepy/AWESOME serial killer video collage projects I was working on.  Due to this, I have no new or different work to show here, so instead, I come bearing gifts of the 'shit that didn't make it into the degree show' kind, mainly in pen and ink form:

All masterly hotlinked from my way more serious and way less interesting professional website, Rebecca Higgins Art.  These were mainly based around the idea of chemical and physical imbalances, being 'under the microscope', and the link between the body being dissected, and the mind/reasonings behind why we do the things we do being questioned (and lots of other wordy bullshit, too).  Basically, I miss drawing, as in, really crazily miss drawing, and I want to keep at it and not become a grumpus who spends all of her time in bed eating entire boxes of cereal in one sitting whilst watching every episode of the Simpsons ever.  The recent Camberwell Illustration graduate show (fanx Creative Review/luv u CCW), as well as being pretty damn impressive, managed to make me feel inferior and lazy in regards to this, but I guess at least it's giving me the push forward to pick up the old Uniball and quill and attempt to make something halfway decent happen.  Sweet!  These mini/anti-laziness epiphanies seem to be happening like clockwork recently: on my not-so-distant-future list I'm also including the following:
  • Move back to the sunny midlands, save up some dollar, move back to London by the end of the summer (and believe me, North West definitely ain't best-South is calling me back again)
  • Start up a collaborative project/blog with the wonderful K Higgs and K McKee
  • Apply to the Triangle Arts Trust and attempt to live out my insanely unrealistic pipe-dream of working/living in New York for as long as my Visa will allow me
  • Learn some more sculpture techniques-tights and stuffing gets mega old, mega fast
  • Get out of bed more often/still manage to avoid everyone, the perfect balance still hasn't been settled

No comments:

Post a Comment